Sunday 5 August 2012

Songs of Praise

A gentleman visited the shop today to buy some chicken feed, and also looking for some advice. I did my best to help him out, and then he asked me a couple more questions.

 "How much are those panels?"
 - They work out at twenty pounds each.
 "Ah, okay. I think I'll probably make them myself."
 - Fair enough.
 "How about those little runs."
 - They start at forty-seven pounds each.
 "Hmm. Nah. Again. I'll probably just make it myself."
 - Well, yeah, if you're good at that kind of thing and can get hold of the materials, then that's fair enough.
 "Yes, I'm pretty good at woodwork - been doing it for years!"
 - Ah okay.
 "I've made a lot of different houses for my chickens, rabbits, etc."
 - I see.
 "Tell you what, I'll give you one of my cards..."

I figured that he must sell some of the items he makes. We've had other customers in the past try and sell hutches and nest boxes to us that they have made themselves. Sadly, they tend to be pretty awful most of the time, but we're always happy to take a look.

He reached into his wallet for a card.

 "I'm telling you, I'm very good. Better than anything you can find on the ol' whats-a-name."

Ah, yes, on the "ol' whats-a-name", of course. How specific.

 "Honestly. Not just blowing my own trumpet."
 - Okay
 "My wife does it too."
 - I see
 "But I've been doing it longer. Honestly though, anything you like."
 - Right okay.
 "I'm better than Elvis, better than Sinatra, better than The Platters, better than any of the them..."

Wait... what?

 "..yep. I know about eighteen thousands songs. Everything from the 1920's to the modern stuff. All in there."

He hands me his card: Karaoke & Disco Entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment